Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Yoga for anxiety - detachment from fear

Please click on the video below to watch, 'Yoga for anxiety - detachment from fear' on my YouTube Channel.



Please read the disclaimer on the blog before following these videos -http://flexiladies.blogspot.co.uk/p/disclaimer.html

Please note-Please consult your doctor if you are having severe panic attacks or chronic anxiety - there is much a doctor can offer you that would complement your yoga practice such as Cognitive behaviour therapy or counselling which you could do alongside yoga. 


Please be aware that these yoga practices may take you to an emotional edge that can be very painful if you suffer from severe anxiety. Just as with a physical edge, you should back off if the emotions get too intense.  I would strongly advise you to check with your medical practitioner before undertaking these yoga practices.

Last week our intention was to cultivate the strength to be with our anxieties and fears.  This week we are cultivating detachment from our fears.  This means taking a 'step back' so that we do not get wrapped up in our anxieties.   If we can do this we can look at those anxieties as an observer and this will enable us to discern which of those anxieties are justified in that they keep you safe - 'if I step out into the road without looking, I will have an accident' and anxieties which are your ego going into overdrive - 'my daughter hasn't rung - there must be something wrong', 'I can't go to the party, everyone will look at the spot on my chin and think I am ugly', 'I must not touch door handles outside the house or I will get sick'.  You get the idea. 

We end the video with a loving kindness meditation as a way of wishing yourself well and wishing others well.

Next week we will practice being present to the truth to be able to challenge such thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment